Assistant Director - Capital Procurement
The State University Construction Fund (Fund), a New York State entity dedicated solely to the State University of New York’s building and infrastructure assets at 32 campuses and 3 teaching hospitals, seeks an energetic and motivated individual to join our Procurement team in Albany, NY as Assistant Director – Capital Procurement. This position is responsible for management and supervisory support to the Director of Capital Procurement in all construction, construction-related, and competitively awarded operational service procurement activities. This includes assistance with the oversight of daily procurement functions as well as developing and implementing strategic initiatives and continuous improvement efforts. The Assistant Director helps to ensuring compliance with statutes, policies and procedures governing procurement and contributes to required reporting and performance management.
Specific Duties & Functions:
- Assist with management and development of Capital Procurement Department staff in the performance daily duties, including the oversight of all consultant procurements, bids and design-build procurements.
- Acts as an expert procurement resource for Fund staff and management.
- Supervise Capital Procurement Department Program staff as assigned.
- Support the pursuit of management goals and priorities, lead staff in meeting these expectations.
- Recommend policy, procedures and contract language to incorporate lessons learned and to address changes in market conditions, policy or strategic direction.
- Assist with the development of alternative delivery method (including design-build) policies and procedures.
- Provide staff with the information and guidance regarding project planning, procurement approach and method of award; Facilitate problem solving regarding procurement issues.
- Review procurement documents, including proposer / bidder submissions, evaluation documents and contracts.
- Assists in the drafting and execution of contract amendments and assignments.
- Assists in the development and presentation of consultant selection training for both Fund and campus staff.
- Network with colleagues in the public and private sector related agencies, for the purpose of sharing information and exchanging ideas related construction and construction-related procurement.
- Participate in presentations to external organizations on the Fund's procurement process and portfolio of projects.
- Work with the Opportunities Unit to assist in providing opportunities for MWBE and SDVOB firms.
- Educate and assist the vendor community Fund procurement procedures, liaise with consultants and contractors as needed.
- Assist Director in the development of performance metrics and reports and managing data and external reporting as required.
- Work with Director to recommend streamlining business processes and implementation of new and revised policies and procedures.
- Assist in the oversight and performance of Vendor Responsibility reviews for all transactions as required.
- Assist in oversight and processing of Capital Purchase Orders.
- Performs other duties and completes special projects as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience Requirements:
A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a related field from an appropriately accredited college or university; and a minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in capital procurement, three (3) of which must be in a supervisory capacity.
Additional requirements include:
The ability to effectively communicate with contractors, design professionals, the business community, government officials and agency staff; excellent written communication skills; ability to work independently; and the ability to multi-task, adjust priorities and are required. Experience must involve a working knowledge of the competitive bidding, qualification based procurements and best value procurements. Experience in procurement on behalf of a governmental entity is preferred.
Offering a competitive salary and excellent benefits package, including New York State Pension/Retirement, Health Insurance (including Rx, Dental, and Vision), Vacation, Sick, Personal time, 13 paid holidays, and much more!