Deputy General Manager (Design and Construction)
Office of Design & Construction
The State University Construction Fund (Fund) invites applications for the position of Deputy General Manager. The Fund was established as a public benefit corporation under New York State Education Law, with the State University of New York (SUNY) as the Fund's only client. The Fund is dedicated solely to act as an agent for SUNY to administer planning, design and construction service contracts necessary to improve or expand SUNY's State-operated educational facilities and infrastructure on its three State-operated campuses, as well as for SUNY's three hospitals.
The Deputy General Manager is a Board Appointed, officer level position which reports directly to the General Manager and performs as a key member of the General Manager's executive team.
The Deputy General Manager will lead a multi-faceted department of design and construction professionals that are responsible for advancing the SUNY Capital Plan through the management of design and construction contracts on each of the SUNY campuses throughout the state.
Duties include, but are not limited to, advising the Fund's leadership team, management, and staff on a broad range of design and construction issues to progress the Fund's mission, including procurement, design, construction, contracts, MBE/WBE, environmental, legislation, and litigation. This leadership position will also serve in an advisory capacity for a variety of operational, policy and strategic matters.
Specific Duties and Functions:
Direct and coordinate 69 design and construction personnel to meet the objectives of the office. In addition, this individual must be able to work collaboratively with others, understand their roles and responsibilities, the goals and objectives they seek to achieve, and arrive at effective and efficient solutions for the organization. In doing so, the individual will assure that the following duties and objectives are performed or effectively assigned to other staff:
- Administer the Design and Construction Units of the Fund to assure that projects are completed in a competent, timely and cost-effective manner.
- Continuously monitor project schedules and budgets and guide staff in the development and implementation of recovery plans, when necessary.
- Develop and promote a team environment of collaboration and cooperation amongst the planning, estimating, design and construction professionals of the Fund.
- Interface, inform and develop strategies with campus officials and state officials on matters concerning individual projects and higher-level issues relating to the mission of the Fund and the construction industry.
- Assure that staff are maintaining project data and schedules to ensure that accurate analyses and information can be provided to management and other stakeholders.
- Support staff in establishing discipline as it relates to project scopes and budgets. Assist staff in managing the expectations of campus officials in this regard.
- Intervene as necessary with problem projects as to mitigate the extent of potential negative impact on the campus or the financial health of the project.
- Evaluate and improve systems and processes as required to effectively meet Fund goals and individual project requirements.
- Manage and negotiate very complex projects and contractual issues with internal and external senior level design and construction professionals.
- Work collaboratively with Counsel in developing strategies to solve contractual issues and translate and communicate the technical aspects of design and construction and explain problems and options to key stakeholders.
- Provide the General Manager with advice/guidance on issues surrounding the operation of the Fund.
- Perform the duties of the General Manager if the office of General Manager is vacant or in the event that the General Manager is unable to perform such duties by reason of illness, disability or absence.
- Collaborate with other Fund managers and provide relevant assistance in achieving their goals and carrying out their responsibilities.
- Foster an environment of client service in a higher education setting and promote positive relationships with campus personnel.
- Perform other such duties that may be assigned by the Board of Trustees or the General Manager of the Fund.
Qualifications and Experience Requirements:
A Bachelor's or Master's degree in Architecture, Engineering or related field is required. A Master's degree in Business or Public Administration (MBA/MPA) is a plus. A professional license is highly preferred.
Candidates should have a minimum of twenty years progressive experience with eight years in a leadership role overseeing the management of a professional workforce responsible for the design and construction of complex facilities or facility management with design and construction responsibilities.
Applicants must possess a thorough working knowledge of project implementation and be able to manage others to achieve results. Additional requirements include a working knowledge of applicable laws, rules and standards regulating the design and construction industry, and a working knowledge of software systems related to the construction industry.
Applicants must possess excellent oral and written communication skills, analytical and conceptual skills and the ability to oversee a project(s) or program(s) and delegate as necessary for completion. Exceptional interpersonal skills and temperament are necessary for success.
Applicants must be proficient in Microsoft Office. Travel will be required throughout New York State.
The Fund offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package, including New York State retirement, generous health, dental, vacation, sick and personal time.