Director of Construction
Office of Design & Construction
The State University Construction Fund (Fund), a New York State entity dedicated solely to the State University of New York's building and infrastructure assets at 32 campuses and 3 teaching hospitals, seeks an energetic and motivated individual to join our Design and Construction team in Albany, NY as Director of Construction. The Director of Construction is a respected leader, technical resource, and resident expert on all aspects of construction and assists Fund staff to successfully execute capital projects. The Director provides leadership and guidance to the overall Construction Unit. This leadership responsibility includes direction of the Change Order/Claims unit, the Construction Services and Information unit (including Job Order Contracting & Construction Management), and other Construction support functions within the Fund. In addition, the Director of Construction serves as the executive interface with Fund Counsel on all construction related issues, disputes, claims and litigation. The Director of construction promotes and facilitates cooperation, information sharing and efficiency across all Fund departments, in an effort to optimize the quality of the delivery of the SUNY Capital Plan.
Specific Duties & Functions:
- Leads the Fund's Construction Unit and establishes and maintains an effective construction management community of practice for Construction staff.
- Identifies skillsets, training opportunities and best practices for Construction staff that enhance the technical capabilities of the Fund and contribute to successful project delivery.
- Mentors and develops project construction management expertise across the Fund. Assesses construction management and field oversight capability, identifying gaps and working collaboratively with other managers to develop plans to optimize performance.
- Develops and refines the approach to administrative processes for the Construction Unit.
- Supervises and oversees the operations of the Change Order/Claims Unit and the Construction Services and Information Unit (including Job order Contracting and Construction Management).
- Serves as executive level interface with Fund Counsel on all construction related issues, disputes, claims, litigations, etc.
- Interfaces with senior level staff representing contractors and consultants on performance issues, disputes, and claims.
- Develops and refines processes and approach to the use of alternative project delivery methods, including Design-Build and Construction Manager at Risk. Works closely with other Fund units in the development of quality procurements related to these methods.
- Develops a team approach across the organization and builds partnerships with the staff on SUNY campuses.
- Interacts with high-ranking SUNY staff on complex and challenging project issues and works toward resolutions.
- Represents the Fund with outside agencies and organizations, such as the Association of General Contractors (AGC), and SUNY Physical Plant Administrators Associations (SUNY PPAA).
- Builds and maintains relationships with the leadership of private-sector construction and construction management firms and other business partners of the Fund.
- Works with the Director of Project Management and the Director of Design to identify opportunities to improve project documentation and delivery, modify existing processes to align with industry best practices and promote optimal cooperation and collaboration amongst these groups.
- Ensures Construction staff and project teams have the necessary tools to manage construction projects successfully, develops and maintains written policies and procedures for Construction staff to ensure construction process consistency across the organization and identifies and develops necessary training programs for Construction staff to enhance professional development and improve project success.
- Develops and refines processes and organizational approach for constructability reviews of project design documents. Leads project risk identification and mitigation processes as required.
- Maintains a high level of communication with Project Teams and Regional Directors to monitor project schedules and budgets and troubleshoot potential construction issues.
- Reviews and revises existing construction agreements and SUCF directives on a regular basis. Collaborates with the Director of Project Management and the Director of Design, and other Fund stakeholders to develop contract agreements that utilize the Fund's Design-Build authority.
- Collaborates with the Director of Design to ensure that necessary technical peer reviews are completed to a high level of quality to reduce change order volume.
- Visits project construction sites as necessary to become sufficiently informed on construction issues.
- Participates/leads meetings as required and meets with campus officials on construction related matters.
- Oversees yearly internal control audits of construction management processes as required by policy to identify and mitigate organizational risk.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience Requirements:
Bachelor's degree in Architecture, Engineering or related technical field. Advanced degree in a related field is a plus. Professional License is a plus. Minimum of 15 years relevant experience in the building design and construction industry. Additional requirements include:
- Leadership experience in the design and construction field.
- Strong working knowledge of design and construction processes, practices, contracting procedures, codes, rules, and regulations.
- Experience with Net-Zero Carbon facilities or Deep Energy Retrofits a plus.
- Design-Build expertise is a plus.
- Experience with litigation and mediation is a plus.
- Experience with construction of facilities for Higher Education a plus.
- Must possess excellent writing skills and communication skills.
- Strong computer and Microsoft Office skills are required.
- Ability to become and maintain certification as a code enforcement official.
- Knowledge and experience with construction industry software such as MS Project, Primavera, Submittal Exchange, Procore, etc.
- Travel will be required as necessary to execute position duties.
- Supervisory experience is required.
Offering a competitive salary and excellent benefits package, including New York State Pension/Retirement, Health Insurance (including Rx, Dental, and Vision), Vacation, Sick, Personal time, 13 paid holidays, and much more!