Electrical Engineer (Associate Project Coordinator)
Office of Design & Construction - Services
The State University Construction Fund (Fund), a New York State entity dedicated solely to the State University of New York's building and infrastructure assets at 32 campuses and 3 teaching hospitals, seeks an energetic and motivated individual to join our team in Albany, NY as Electrical Engineer. This individual will be an integral part of our Design and Construction Engineering team and will coordinate and provide electrical design and construction phase support to Fund project team members, consultants, contractors and campus personnel on guidance of project design, construction and operation of electrical systems. In addition, the individual will assist in resolving construction related problems involving design deficiencies, unforeseen conditions and non-performing equipment, assist in resolving construction document interpretation, as well as assessing product substitutions.
The Electrical Engineer works in Engineering Services Unit in providing design and code reviews to ensure that Fund projects include compliance with the Fund’s standards and NYS Building Codes, provides ongoing development of Fund design and system type selections to keep current with the constantly evolving design field, particularly in the areas of energy conservation, sustainable design, net zero, equipment quality and project costs.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- Review design plans and specifications for Building Code and Fund design standards compliance.
- Issue written review comments.
- Attend design phase review meetings and interactively resolve design issues.
- Independently manage project workload to produce on-time review comments.
- Evaluate new and evolving technologies for potential incorporation into Fund project designs.
- Develop Fund Program Directives to incorporate current design standards, improved efficiency systems and construction problem related experience.
- Able to mentor junior engineers on project review techniques and Fund standards.
- Participate in consultant and contractor evaluations.
- Travel within New York State is required.
- Performs other duties as directed.
Qualifications & Experience Requirements:
A Bachelor or Associate Degree in Engineering or related field and/or 10 years of experience in the design and construction industry. A professional license may be substituted for up to five (5) years of experience. Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices, and procedures of electrical engineering project design development. Specific knowledge of building electrical systems as well as campus central systems. Ability to determine from an overview what the Fund, campus and engineering design standards should be applied to a particular project circumstance. Good knowledge of building systems and building materials, their function, and physical properties as it applies to new and major renovation construction. Working knowledge of construction methods, applicable codes, laws, rules and standards regulating the design and construction of buildings and building costs. Outstanding technical, interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills a must.
Offering a competitive salary and excellent benefits package, including New York State Pension/Retirement, Health Insurance (including Rx, Dental, and Vision), Vacation, Sick, Personal time, 13 paid holidays, and much more!