Regional Director (Design)
Office of Design & Construction
The State University Construction Fund (Fund), a New York State entity dedicated solely to the State University of New York's building and infrastructure assets at 32 campuses and 3 teaching hospitals, seeks an energetic and motivated individual to join our Design and Construction team in Albany, NY as Regional Director, Design. This position is responsible for managing staff that oversee architectural/engineering contracts involving the full range of professional activity for the creation, construction, rehabilitation or restoration of buildings and facilities. Regional Directors schedule, manage, supervise and coordinate the activities of assigned and related staff providing specialized services to the project, review the consultants' work and provide advice concerning the feasibility, constructability and acceptability of project plans. The Regional Director will be required to complete NYS DOS training to secure and maintain Code Enforcement Officer Certification.
Specific Duties & Functions:
- Reports to Director of Project Management on all matters pertaining to design within the region with specific emphasis on maintaining project budget, schedule and quality.
- Coordinates and collaborates with Program Management and Construction Services staff.
- Supervises all project coordinators assigned to his/her region.
- Develops and maintains relationships with campuses to provide a timely and professional approach in addressing the design issues.
- Coordinates individual design contracts to avoid delays in the absence of increased staff.
- Participates in pre-award meetings with the low bidders and recommends acceptance/rejection of all low bidders for conformance to Fund standards.
- Monitors development of trustee resolutions, SEQRA and other internal and external approvals required to advertise for construction bids.
- Travel within New York State, sometimes overnight, is required.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience Requirements:
Associate's (with a NYS professional license), Bachelor's or Master's degree in Architecture, Engineering or related field; plus 15 years' experience in the building design and construction industry. Professional license may be substituted for up to 5 years' experience with a Bachelor's or Master's degree. Five years supervisory experience required.
Additional requirements include: Ability to exercise professional judgment regarding the applicability of such technical guides as written to the particular circumstances at hand, good knowledge of the principles, practices, and procedures of architecture or engineering and of developments in the field, building materials, their function, and physical properties, working knowledge of construction methods, applicable codes, laws, rules, and standards regulating the design and construction of buildings and building costs, ability to review and analyze comprehensive building projects, ability to identify technical elements in building designs for conformance with applicable standards, policies, codes, cost efficiency, program objectives, for compliance with design requirements and for acceptable professional practice, ability to creatively portray professional elements as a complete design, ability to express ideas effectively both orally and in writing, ability to establish and maintain cooperative relationships with associates, technical experts and others, ability to provide technical direction to a team of subordinate architectural and engineering personnel.
The Fund offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package, including New York State retirement, generous health, dental, vacation, sick and personal time.